Home Online catalogues Studi & Schizzi 67. Anonymous, school of Verona, second half of 15th century Upper Part of a Wall Monument, circa 1460 The author of this drawing has constructed a complex architectural setting to accommodate the Virgin and Child, venerated by two monks. The structure of the design suggests that it was destined for the wall of a chapel, probably in a Gothic church in Verona. The figures are arranged against the background of a cupola coffered in the Antique manner, and framed by a wide pointed arch. This is surmounted by a triangular element flanked by two putti, with above it a Virgin in Majesty. To the left, a small angel holds up a medallion depicting a bust of a man. The artist has left the right-hand side empty and simply delineated it, probably because it was his idea to fill it symmetrically with identical ornamentation.